Msvcp140.dll is one of the components of Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Packages for Visual Studio 2015. It is developed by Microsoft and is a DLL (Dynamic Link Libraries) file located in the C:\Windows\System32 folder. These set of files are responsible for the efficient functioning of C++ Applications built using the Visual Studio 2015.
WHAT IS msvcp140.dll?
Msvcp140.dll refers to Microsoft Runtime Library and is allied to Microsoft Visual Studio 2017. It’s main function is to ensure that the programs on Windows system function and operate the way they are supposed to be.
One might often receive an error “The program can’t start because MSVCP140.dll is missing from your computer” when the program you are trying to run requires MSVCP140.dll file to be present on your computer system. This usually happens when the users try to open online applications like Word press, Skype, etc. The error message indicates that the corresponding utility requires the DLL file for it to run.
When this file goes missing, It negatively impacts the functioning of the associated program or a software. Dynamic Link Libraries (DLL) is peripheral parts of the applications that run on various operating systems. It is used for holding multiple codes and procedures for the Windows programs.
These libraries were created for aiding memory conservation. Through DLL files, multiple programs could use the same information at the same time. A large number of applications are incomplete within themselves and their codes are stored in different files. During runtime if the OS (Operating Sytsem) fails to find and decode the files or if the file is corrupted, you may receive a DLL file missing message on your screen.
DIFFERENT VARIATIONS OF MSVCP140.dll
On the basis of different user reviews, it is found that there are different variations of the MSVCP140.dll error message. These are “vcruntime.dll” and the “aoi-ms-win-crt-runtime-|1-1-0.dll is missing” errors.
The error messages displayed on your device may resemble the following:
- This application has failed to start because MSVCP140.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
- The code execution cannot proceed MSVCP140.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem.
- There was a problem starting MSVCP140.dll. The specified module could not be found.
HOW TO FIX MSVCP140.dll IS MISSING ERROR
The solution to these kinds of errors is just upfront as well as rapid. Also you can solve these yourselves in no time.You can quickly fix this issues by using any one of the below mentioned techniques. You only require to just stick to the steps mentioned and you will surely get through the application that you got trouble with. Try each technique one by one until everything works efficiently.
Method 1: Reinstalling the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package
- The MSVCP140.dll is a file of the Visual C++ Redistributable Package for Visual Studio 2015. The whole package of files is responsible for the runtime constituents needed to run C++ applications.
- Microsoft automatically installs this package on the system when the Windows Operating System is installed, since it is crucial for running applications and programs.
- If the corresponding file is been deleted or is corrupt, the easiest way to fix the error is to re install the Visual C++ Redistributable Package.
YOU SHOULD DOWNLOAD AND RE-INSTALL THE PACKAGE ONLY FROM OFFICIAL AND TRUSTED WEBSITES. DOWNLOADING THE PACKAGE FROM A FAKE OR UNOFFICIAL WEBSITE MAY CAUSE HARM TO YOUR DEVICE AND HAMPER IT’S FUNCTIONING.
- Third party (Unofficial) Websites are not approved and hence not safe for you to download DLL files. They can also pave the way of viruses to your computer. Therefore the Official Website of Microsoft is highly recommended for the installation of such packages.
How to Download Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable Package?
To Install the Package from Official Microsoft Website, Follow these easy steps:
- Open the Microsoft Download center for downloading files. Click Download
- The type of the file to be downloaded is selected according to the system processor of your computer. Select x64 for 64-bit and x86 for 32-bit.
- As soon as you click ‘Next’, the file will be downloaded to your device.
- After completion of the download, double click on .exe file that is supposed to be installed.
- Then, follow the instructions that are displayed on your screen and the package will be installed successfully.
- Restart your computer to check whether the error is fixed or not
This is one of the best and easiest ways to solve the problem.
Method 2: Do a Clean Installation of the Program
Clean installation is a form of software installation in which previous version is eradicated. This is another technique that can resolve the error.
Here you need to reinstall only that particular program which displays the MSVCP140.dll error.
It is sometimes possible that the file may have become corrupted while the installation of program, but its package would be absolutely fine with the correct version. This method also resolves certain compatibility isuues.
For clean installation of the program, Do the following:
- In order to open the run command, press the Windows key + R simultaneously.
- In the Run command box, type “appwiz.cpl” and press Enter.
- Next, uninstall the program that displays the error message.
- Restart your computer.
- Reinstall the original program after restarting your system.
- Now, Open the program to check whether it works without any error or not.
Method 3: Run the Windows System File Checker
System File Checker is a componential asset in Microsoft Windows which can be used to scan, detect and restore corruptions in Windows system files. It is one of the most useful utilities provided by Microsoft windows that help us repair certain files.
Follow these steps to run the System File Checker:
- Open the search box of your taskbar and type cmd.
- From search results look for “Command Prompt” and right click on it.(NOTE – For Windows 7, right click on cmd). Now, select Run as Administrator.
- When the Command Prompt box pops up, type “sfc/scannow” and press Enter.
- The System File Checker will process the files and it will also try to fix the scanned errors automatically. This may take a while.
- You can close the Command Prompt window after the process of verification is completed.
- Next, re launch the program again to check whether it works properly or not.
Method 4: Run a Full Virus Scan of your System
Full System Scan helps to perform an overall scan of your device and aids to remove all kinds of security threats. It keeps a check on all records, files and running programs which the user is accessing. A virus struck device may sometimes show a false error of the DLL file being missing. That virus could also stop the program to detect the DLL file into the system. In such a case a simple full virus scan of your device does all that is required.
Do the following, to run a Full Virus Scan:
- First of all install an efficiently working and trusted Anti Malware Program if you do not have one on your device.
- Then, Run a complete virus scan for your Windows system.
- The pre-installed Windows Defender isn’t sometimes enough to carry upon the detection that is actually required. So it is suggested to perform the procedure using one of the best reviewed and efficient Anti-Virus or Anti Malware Software. Some of them are Avira, AVG, Kaspersky, Panda, Webroot and Norton.
- If there is any fault due to virus infection, it will be fixed after scanning the system.
- Restart the computer and you will find your error resolved. Relaunch the program to check whether the error was fixed or not.
Above mentioned are all the possibilities due to which the MSVCP140.dll error occurs. Also, the easiest ways to resolve them are stated in their most convenient forms. We suggest you to carefully read each and every method and then analyze which one suits the best. In case you are unable to choose the appropriate one, try each one in the chronological order in which they are stated above.
It is also suggested that you follow the steps accurately that are mentioned to avoid any loss or damage to your system. We hope that this article proves fruitful to all the readers and helps them to fix the error.